Work Accident Compensation – how much can I claim?

Even though your employer is required by law to provide a safe environment for you to perform your daily tasks, accidents do occur. If you experience an accident at work, you may be entitled to compensation to help cover medical expenses and lost earning time.

In all workplaces, your employer is responsible for providing a safe place for you to complete.

But how do you claim a work accident compensation?

Common Work Accidents

The first step is to understand what constitutes an accident at work for which you are entitled compensation. Usually, claims can be filed for injury or illness that occurred as a result of duties performed as directed by your employer. These can include physical injuries such as burns, broken bones, loss of a limb, blindness, deafness. Injuries that occur due to repetitive movement, such as carpal tunnel syndrome and repetitive strain injury, can be covered as well. Families can also be compensated for the death of an employee.

Additionally, some illnesses can be covered if you contracted them through something you were exposed to while you were working. One of the most common cases of workers successfully claiming compensation for illness is after exposure to asbestos, a toxic agent that causes lung disease and cancer. In the case of illness, you will need to clearly document how you contracted the illness, often with the help of a medical professional.

How to File a Claim

Depending on the nature of the accident, you should start by talking to your employer directly after the accident occurred. In the case of injury, you should tell your employer that the event occurred and how, and then make sure all the details are recorded. Most workplaces have an “accident book” to keep record of such events. All employers are required to keep clear documentation of accidents that occur on the premises. If you think you have an illness that you picked up from something in the workplace, you may need to provide a medical documentation.

Once there is a record of the accident or illness, you can meet with your employer about compensation. If you feel that you have been unfairly compensated, then legal assistance may be necessary. You can start by contacting a lawyer who specializes in work accident compensation. If you belong to a union, you may be able to meet with an attorney through their legal division.

In any case, entering the legal system should be your last resort, as lawsuits can be time-consuming and costly. It is always best to approach your employer first so he/she feels like an equal party in the negotiations. This way, you and your employer will feel less like you are at war and more like you are both working toward a common goal. If the two of you cannot reach a solution, only then should you contact a lawyer.